Monday, May 13, 2019

Grateful

This past weekend was my first chance to join Beto on the road since we kicked off the campaign almost two months ago. Beto and I talk every night when he's on the road, but I wanted to feel the energy for myself and meet the people he's been telling me about.
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 

Beto for America

Dear Jason,

This past weekend was my first chance to join Beto on the road since we kicked off the campaign almost two months ago. Beto and I talk every night when he's on the road, but I wanted to feel the energy for myself and meet the people he's been telling me about.

I flew to Boston on Thursday to meet Beto, Cynthia, and Chris who had just flown in from a week of campaigning in Texas, Iowa, and Minnesota. I took the wheel to drive from Boston to Salem, New Hampshire, the first of many energizing stops.

From Salem to Hookset, New London in Sawyer Colby College's incredible library, Hanover at Dartmouth, Lebanon, Manchester, Bedford, Exeter, and Dover, this campaign trip felt very much like what I loved most during our Senate campaign in Texas. We were meeting people who care deeply about this country, who take their civic responsibility seriously, and who want to share their wealth of knowledge with those who seek to hold public office.

Much like Texas, I have been impressed with the number of young people who have come out — asking the tough questions, organizing on their campuses, signing up to volunteer for our campaign, or running in their own right. In Hanover, I met Garrett Muscatel, who is both a junior at Dartmouth College and a recently elected state representative. In the last few years, the New Hampshire Young Dems have activated 7,000 young people across the state and helped get Garrett and dozens of young Democrats elected to the State House. The power of young people is palpable, and they will be the force behind progressive, bold changes in our country.

At the conclusion of each of our town halls in New Hampshire, we stayed to meet everyone who came out. Some wanted to take pictures, others wanted to ask a follow up question or share a personal story. Understanding the seriousness with which voters in New Hampshire take their responsibility to screen the Democratic presidential candidates (I met one high school student that had already met 13 candidates!), we have been pleasantly surprised by the number of people who told us that we have their support. People like Oye and his son, Ulysses, both passionate about fairness and equity, have stepped up to share their expertise and time for this campaign. Kaitlyn, a school principal, is already spending her evenings and weekends as Super Volunteer at our events. Ruth retired early because she feels just as strongly that this is the most important election of her lifetime, and she now wants to get behind Beto.

This weekend has been a reminder to not read too much into the latest news story, the latest poll, but to keep focused on why we are running and how we want to run. Like we did in Texas, we are putting a premium on meeting people, engaging in authentic, honest dialogue, and relying on those we meet to step up and lead this campaign.

I flew home in time to spend Mother's Day dinner with my babies, my dad, and my mom (who so graciously took care of them this weekend). But I can't wait to get out on the campaign trail again soon. I am grateful for the people who have stepped up to volunteer and contribute, those who are working and sacrificing to ensure we meet our ambitious goals for this country.

Many thanks,

Amy

If you believe in this commitment to continue holding town halls and meeting people across the country, please contribute what you can.

Contribute $10 »






 

No comments: